In the thick of it here on week 3. Some moments I think I am never doing yoga again and others, I have lost my thoughts and am totally immersed in my bodily sensations. They encourage us just to notice pain and think about it curiously "isn't that interesting?" I am discovering muscles that I never knew I had. I recently learned that you can tell if its a pulled muscle by hotness and a nerve by coldness by personal experience. Fun, fun.
Have begun to rely on the little routines to get thru the hard parts, like bliss balls (dates, cacao, coconut, crushed almonds, and salt) during our break at 12:30, showering 3 times daily, bug repellent and sunscreen apps, afternoon rain and the mud that accompanies it, walking in flip flops everywhere and getting mud streaks up the back of my legs, and the many conversations over pepa's and casados with the friends I've made here.
Otherwise, I am either chanting, doing asana, crying or laughing, or trying to get some food in to keep me going. 6 or 7 hours of sleep strangely proves to be enough to get me thru, though admittedly during the evening session, my eyes start to shut. Last night, I swear Don hypnotized us all, which I gathered when I consciously tried to open my eyes and I couldn't. During practice this morning, someone started to laugh as we were groaning and slapping our legs and it became contagious like wildfire across the room until we were all belly laughing for a good 5 minutes. I spoke with our instructor later, and she admitted that she'd had the thought of, "what if I can't reign this in?" We talked about how its counter intuitive, but to talk softer than the noise or om softly has more of a calming affect than trying to get louder than the room. I have to remember that and plan to test it sometime in a bar, if anyone is game.
After our morning session, I went to the juice bar that we have all grown to love, and tried to remember how to interpret the I-Ching (Mom, AJ, can you remind me?!) using coins for a friend. Astrological charts, I-Ching, thats the normal conversation here, and I don't even roll my eyes anymore. But don't worry, still keeping it real.
After a short break, this afternoon we were put in groups of three and were asked to collectively design a 30 minute class using pigeon, bow, and bridge, as well as kalibhati (sharp exhaling breath), pranayama nostril breathing, and so hum meditation, piecing it together with transitions. The other two in my group were really strong personalities (an alpha woman from san francisco who used to work in the fitness industry and a woman from denmark who struggles with English but is very opinionated). I found myself in the middle, as usual, and felt so exhausted by the process. We then had to demonstrate in unison and silently to on-lookers. We pulled it off somehow. I think the no talking thing helped.
Then we learned we will each be teaching a 90 minute class that we've designed to teach 5 others next week. That created a lot of tension and strangely, competition in the room. I found myself disassociating a little, in response. But, I feel prepared and am getting my playlist together. I'll send it any of you are interested...speaking of which, trying to figure out why comments can't come thru. I know you all have a lot to reply and it makes me disappointed that I can't read your responses. Can someone email me which settings I should change so that they come thru?
Anyway, we are going as a group to see baby sea turtles hatch and make their way to the ocean for the first time this evening!!! It feels symbolic and significant for sure...
Sending lots of love,
r
Turtles, bliss balls, deep yoga - what a full experience. I laughed out loud at your description of planning a session with other powerful personalities! Thank you for your beautiful descriptions of your practice. You SO inspire me!
ReplyDelete